Friday, April 19, 2013

Geoffrey Borgonia's SERVANT # 1 and 2

Servant # 1Another day, another review. w00t. Servant created by Geoffrey Borgonia tells the story of Gabriel Barreon, a call center agent slash superhero. His origin is that he is the son of the king of the pagan gods of old. Sent to our world for his own protection, Gabriel grew up as a human, taught about truth, justice and power and responsibility. He's also a geek and a big nerd.

The first issue of Servant also introduces us to the Del Maestro sisters: Katsuko, the brainy and uptight sister (who for some reason looks evil to me even though it seems that she's not) and Alexandra the carefree (and hotter) younger sister. There is also Victor, the patriarch of the Del Maestro family who seems to be the evil man behind the curtain. The weakest of the bunch though is the Mighty Ruler whose line delivery IMHO is a bit cliched.

The art on this book is rendered in 3D and is gorgeous. It looks like Borgy spent a lot of time creating the models for this. It reminds me a lot of ReBoot, one of my favorite programs growing up. My only problem is that the girl clothes needs a little loosening -- literally. They look too tight around the chest areas. Come to think of it, the same goes for Gabriel's civilian t-shirts. It's a bit distracting but still, as I said, gorgeous. Something that I think really needs work here are the fonts in the dialogue and also the speech balloons. The narration boxes in issue 1 looked a lot better but was changed in issue 2. One thing I found that improved in issue 2 though were the panels. It looked more like a comic book with the panel borders in there.

All in all, these are good first issues. It raises a lot of questions like: Who attacked Servant? What happened to Servant's world? What plans does Victor have? Does Gabriel like Alex (the obvious choice) or Katsuko (twist!)? Or maybe it's the girl reporter whose name I can't remember off the top of my head. Here's hoping that the next issues I read would be the collected edition. And yes, I am also beginning to shift my komiks collection from single issues to trades because TPBs would look better on my shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment