Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Ang Astiging Boy Ipis: Reptullo's Revenge

Ang Astiging Boy Ipis: Reptullo's RevengeOH MY F*CKING GOD! This book is bad-ass. Mike Ignacio delivers a retelling(?) of the Boy Ipis mythos and it is without a shadow of a doubt, a masterpiece! An unexpected ride that will make you crave for more.

In the book, not only did Mike re-introduce Boy Ipis' origin, he also demonstrated his world building skills by introducing a bunch of interesting supporting characters and a villain with purpose. Not an easy task on a single issue but I think this TPB format that the Frances Luna boys are using has given Mike the space and freedom to do what he does best -- tell an awesome story. And I think Boy Ipis has now moved from a western "superhero" format to a "shonnen" style epic.

And in a surprising twist, Mike handled the art chores on this 100-pager himself (with ink/tone assists from some friends). His style reminded me of the art from Combatron/Tinay Pinay from the olden days of komiks (at least for me). I can say that not only is Mike a great storyteller, he also has a great eye for action. He has delivered the most awesome and brutal fight sequence I have ever seen in a local book. This book is surely one of the best buys from the last Komikon. I hope Mike releases the next volume very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment